Sunday, May 31, 2009

Forgive me!

Forgive me for my inexcusable absence. I was frantically finishing up my book. And guess what? I freakin' finished! I still can't really believe it. I keep expecting to leave it in the back of a taxi and then have all power in New York get shut down for weeks by an earth-shattering earthquake so that the internet is down. Then I have to strap the manuscript to my back and embark on an epic quest down the crumbled remains of I-95, during which I will face ravenous hillbillies and giant spiders and evil wizards to get it to my publisher in time to throw it into the volcano. (I also haven't been sleeping very much over these past 2 months, incase you can't tell.)

So in terms of big news, I launched the book yesterday at Book Expo America in NYC, and the reception was absolutely amazing. Thanks to all who came out and got advanced reader's copies. Thanks especially to Mr. McMegatron & Unk Terry for schlepping all the way to the west side before noon.

But first, WHY THE HELL WAS THAT ALL UNDERLINED? I can't find an underline feature here in blogger, and I don't know what the deal is. Thoughts? I'm not typing that over again, so those of you who stuck with me through all of the extra unnecessary emphasis, here are a few pictures from BEA:








Also, HannahFriedman.com got a little bit of a polish in anticipation of BEA, so check out some of the new links.


I plan to start right back up where I left off- I'm terribly sorry I haven't been around and I promise I'll make it up to you. If you have any burning questions you've been dying to get answered, do let me know and I'll keep you posted in the next post. I can't wait to tell you all about the writing process, as I've been contacted by several people in the last few days asking for publication advice. The short answer is: writing is fucking hard. Keep at it, because if you listen to how badly you think it sucks, you'll never give yourself the chance to fix it. And fixing it, (surprise surprise) is fucking hard. The fantastic part of the equation is that as long as you hold yourself to a high standard, you'll know when you're done. You'll know when it's right. It's just a matter of getting there. So shut up and keep writing. There's my short answer. As I mentioned, more to come.

Send me questions, let me know what you've been thinking. Hope all is well and that you're enjoying these sunny summer days. If you're not in a sunny summer place... what the hell are you thinking? New York is just starting to feel like the land of the living instead of some frozen ice-age wasteland, and I think we're all pretty grateful.

Love & Laughter & Lots of productivity,
xox
H

(also, I'm getting sick of blogger... it's tricky to customize format and I hate the settings. And the rogue underlinings. Are you all loving wordpress? Do you have other recommendations? I think I'm ready for a change. Let me know.)

8 comments:

  1. Great to meet you at BEA, Hannah! I'm looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, Wordpress is awesomer. Dig my neologistic skills.

    here's my blog:
    http://www.drewplaysdrums.com
    (click on blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wordpress is the best - I highly recommend it. I think the layout and style options are much more diverse but still easy to understand. Another plus - I think the site is just plain fun and inspirational for blogging.

    Have you ever seen Goodreads.com? It's a blast, and there's a pretty well-established reading and writing community of users there. Check out my profile!
    http://www.goodreads.com/deborahclaire

    Also, thanks for the twitter follow! I'll add ya back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your formal release and great reception!

    Your underlining is linked to your first picture, loads in new page, odd.

    Love the new http://www.HannahFriedman.com! Says what it needs to, and leaves visitors to explore!

    Will enjoy seeing what's next!

    ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the book stuff! Can't wait for it to be released for real so I can buy it on Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Hannah! I reserved two copies on Amazon (one to read and one to give) and anxious to read it with my daughter (rising high school senior)! :-)

    Love the new website btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally i use livejournal for my blog, i've had others but keep going back to it - though thats probably just out of lazyness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was all underlined because it all links to a picture. Glad to have you back. As an IT pro (I stumbled on to you because I am a fan of your father's work) I can say word press is friendlier than blogger. Both are perfectly fine services with their own quirks. Best wishes with the book.

    ReplyDelete